Monday 28 April 2014

In less then a week my beautiful wife and I head to Maui for our two week honeymoon. We have everything in order and are eagerly awaiting the day we leave. One thing I have always done is draw when I am away. I actually draw every day but when I am away I don't always have everything at my fingertips so I have to plan. What paper to bring, what pens, pencils, pastels etc to take with me. Where this becomes a bit of an issue for me is in planning of what paper and pens to bring I have to think about what type of drawings I am going to be making. And with that I usually pack as much art materials as I do clothing. Because nothing is worse then being somewhere and thinking omg I wish I had brought my thick led pencil, knowing it is sitting in a bin at home far, far away. I am never and have never been the type of painter who plans his work out from beginning to end. I have tried that and after about ten minutes I change the work with a reaction or something that sounded good in my head does not work out on paper. I usually try for days and days to find my drawing mood before a trip. Buying new paper and pens. I then start drawing with the new media to only find out that it is not what I am wanting to do. So I feel the pressure. Not of travelling or of forgetting that piece of clothing or thinking about things that could go wrong with the accommodations or rental car. Instead I am sitting here worrying about the drawings I will make. I am sure most people never would experience such a thing. But then again I am not most people.


I took a break just now and opened up a new sketch book that I had started last week. Within thirty seconds I found my drawing. I now feel like a weight has been lifted. I can see... not what I will draw but how I will go about it. It always has to feel right. I can not just make. I never will just make. I am not that kind of painter. So now I can go and enjoy a wonderful two weeks with the most beautiful woman in the world and my sketch book by my side.

No comments:

Post a Comment